How to Apply
How to Use SmartRoof™ Premium 1-Coat High Solids Silicone Roof Coating
It’s simple to use – with just one coat and usually no primer required. Following the steps before coating is essential!
3 Easy Steps:
1. Clean It
Make sure the roof is dry and clean.
It’s very important that your roof is free of all dust, dirt, debris, oil, solvents and other materials that may adversely affect SmartRoof™ adhesion. You can clean the roof with any of these methods:
- Blow-down with compressed air
- Powerwash or scrub with stiff bristle or power broom
- Wash down with TSP/water solution to remove oils and grease
- Power vacuum - wet or dry
- Wire brush or brush blast for metal surfaces
2. Prep It
Examine the roof for any repairs needed before coating.
Patch all cracks, leaks, and seams around vents, stacks and air conditioners with SmartRoof™ Silicone Seam & Repair Roof Sealant or for added strength, try SmartRoof™ Fibered Roof Mastic. Their tough yet flexible membrane is easy to apply with a brush or trowel and is suitable for direct-to-metal repairs.
Seal areas with SmartRoof™ Silicone Sealant. It’s ready to use and easily applied with a caulk gun and spreader. Ideal for seams, flashings, fasteners and drains.
3. Coat It
You will need:
- 1 five-gallon can of SmartRoof Premium 1-Coat High Solids Silicone Coating per 350 square feet of roof
- 9” roller frame and handle
- ¾” or 1” nap roller cover
- Paddle to stir coating
- Mineral spirits and rags for clean-up
To apply coating:
- Stir thoroughly
- Dip roller in coating or pour product directly on roof
- Apply with overlapping roller strokes
- Coat entire roof
- Let it cure for 2–6 hours
Coating can be applied in temperatures ranging from 35° to 120°F
Store any unused coating for up to 36 months. Keep from freezing.